Scones is my favorite breakfast food as it is easy and fast to prepare and offers lots of variations. I know that scones would normally not belong to the healthy recipe section, but in my opinion it really is just about what kind of ingredients you use. So here I offer a version with no sugar and no butter.
- 1.5 cup of buckwheat flour (you can also use mixture of buckwheat and rice flour).
- 1.5 cup of shredded coconut.
- 1 table spoon of dried lavender.
- 1 - 1 1/4 cup of rice milk.
- 2 table spoons of coconut oil.
- 1 tea spoon of apple vinegar.
- 2 table spoons of maple or agave syrup.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- juice from 1 lemon.
- Preheat oven at 225°C. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Warm the milk, add apple vinegar and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine all dry ingredients together (flour, coconut, baking powder, lavender).
- Add coconut oil, lemon juice, syrup and milk.
- Combine well until you get a soft dough that allows for you to form little balls. If it is too wet add more flour, if it is too dry add some of the milk. If it crumbles too much, add some more of the coconut oil.
- Create little balls and transfer them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200°C and bake for some 10 more minutes or until the scones get a brownish coating.
- Serve with jam and/or fruit.