The first secret behind the perfect flavor of Maggi cubes:
Iodised salt contains compounds that leads to neurological disorders.
Iodine is an essential trace element to our bodies. But we don’t really get too much iodine from iodised salt. In fact, the iodine that is added to table salt is not enough to compensate for most iodine deficiencies.
Table salt is made up of 99% sodium chloride and the other 1% is an anti-caking agent which is designed to make it more free-flowing and keep it from absorbing moisture.
Anti-caking agents are used to increase the dough rising. They are basically made of compounds such as ‘ferrocyanide, talc, and silica aluminate’, which are bad to your body. Aluminium intake leads to neurological disorders and as it builds up inside the body.
Moreover, the sodium chloride in table salt is also highly concentrated and denatured.
The second secret behind the perfect flavor of Maggi cubes:
What about Flavour Enhancers?
Flavour enhancers are compounds that are commercially named as E number, a number given to the food additives which are added to foods to provide them with the delicious taste and to make them last longer.
E number and flavor enhancers are not permitted in foods for infants and pregnant women due to their bad effects on the body.
What is Monosodium Glutamat?
Monosodium Glutamat E621 (MSG, also known as sodium glutamate, food enhancers, spices or Chinese salt).
The Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation. It has been used as a food enhancer in cheese and noodles since 5500 B.C.
MSG and Chinese Restaurant Syndrome
A popular belief is that MSG can cause many bad health indicators to people who used to eat Chinese food; such as migraines, insomnia, rashes, asthma attacks, sinus problems, heart irregularities, anxiety, depression, and diarrhea.
These indicators may appear 15-30 minutes after consuming the food containing MSG and may continue to 2-24 hours. Indicators could vary from one person to another.
Moreover, according to new studies, MSG is the main cause of some types of cancer like stomach, colon and rectal cancer. It also leads to high blood pressure and diabetes.
Note: Yeast and spices extracts have also MSG in them.
What about Disodium inosinate?
Disodium inosinate (E631) is generally produced from meat and fish like sardines. It is also found in yeast extract and pig lard.
Note: Maggi cubes used in Middle East countries are considered as ‘Halal products’, as the manufacturing companies state.
The problem is that substance is genetically modified. It is harmful for people with asthma. It should also be avoided by people who have gout and rheumatism.
Is ‘Disodium Guanylate’ considered as a food?
Disodium Guanylate (E627), also known as glutamic acid, is genetically modified. It is found in seaweeds, yeast extract, fish and pig lard.
This substance causes allergic diseases for people suffering from asthma and gout. It also leads to hyperactivity in children, so it is not permitted for infants, children, and also pregnant women.
The third secret behind the brown color of Maggi cubes:
Maggi contains toxic colorings, also found in Coca-Cola.
Maggi seasoning cubes contain the caramel colouring that’s also used in Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and other food products that contain the artificial caramel color.
This artificial brown coloring is added purely for aesthetic purposes. It may raise the risk of cancer, if consumed in high amounts.
PS: This ingredient analysis can be applied on all the flavors of Maggi or other seasoning cubes (such as chicken, meat, vegetables, etc.) with some slight differences.
In short, we need to start making decisions about the food we consume. We should not only care about the taste. Ingredients found in Maggi cubes can be replaced by natural ingredients or spices. Homemade stock cubes that are traditionally made with chicken or meat could be a perfect alternative.